By D. Lanier Shook January 1, 2014
What is your favorite memory from the Biltmore Square Mall? Was it shopping with friends and family, or maybe an afternoon spent in the arcade? How many of you remember when it was nothing more than cow pasture across from the old Venable School?
Either way, the first chapter in the history of the Biltmore Square Mall is coming to a close. The following note is on the Mall entrances.
The Dollar Tree and Dillard’s both have posted notices that they will remain open during the renovation. Belk’s has no posted notice, but indicated they would remain open. I’ve contacted Cinebarre Corporate management, but received no comment yet. For more information about the Asheville Outlets you can click here to read the statement that’s on the Mall’s website.
When I visited the Mall this afternoon it was quiet, with families and couples enjoying strolls under the palm trees and skylights. Although many stores have already left, there seems to be several businesses still open. Davis Furniture, Chick Fil A, and both department stores had plenty of customers. Here’s a list of the businesses still in the Mall.
- Belk’s, which will stay open through the renovation.
- Totally Christian Karate— still there, but closed on New Year’s Day
- Novedades Ashley Formal Wear
- Davis Clothing Outlet is still there, but closed on New Year’s Day. They advertise 14,000 items that must go and are offering a Buy 2 Get 2 Free promotion. They are also advertising all fixtures for sale.
- Davis Home Furnishing is having a store wide clearance, with prices slashed. I saw a thousand dollar love seat marked down to $4oo. Another thousand dollar sofa is now $300. There’s still a good selection but I saw lots of SOLD signs. If you’re in the market for furniture this is where you need to be.
- Bath and Body Works was open.
- Kirk’s Collectibles is still in its retail space, but closed on New Year’s Day. On February 1st they’ll be moving to 140 Airport Road, next to Acropolis Pizza and Subway. You should stop by their current location to get a flyer that will give you a 10% discount in their new location during the month of February.
- The Corn Husk Shop was still there, although closed on New Year’s Day.
- Chick Fil A was busy serving customers in the Food Court.
- Beijing Wok was also open and busy.
- Dixie Outfitters is still there, although they were closed on New Year’s Day. Signs on the windows advertise Half Off everything.
- GreenTree Christian Books is still in the Mall, but were closed on New Year’s Day. Signs in the windows advertise half off all remaining stock. You’ll want to click here to read about their new store in Spartanburg’s Westgate Mall.
- Costumes Galore was open, advertising Half Off all merchandise.
- General Nutrition Center is still open.
- Dillard’s Clearance Center was open and will remain open throughout the renovations, according to a notice on their door. By the way, this is an awesome place to find incredible bargains. If you haven’t been here you need to stop by.
- A Tupperware Sales office is still present, although they weren’t open.
Remember, if you 0r your organization are having an event in the Asheville area during the next month, the Biltmore Square Mall is still a spacious, affordable place to hold it. Click here to visit their website for contact information or click here for a layout of the mall spaces. As you look at the Mall layout keep in mind that only the stores listed above are still there and all other spaces are probably available.