By D. Lanier Shook September 26, 2013
When was the last time you visited Lake Lure? Oh wow, that’s too long. You need to visit Lake Lure ASAP, or preferably on October 5 when Rumbling Bald Resort is holding its 17th Annual Vintage Tin Car Show. (Click here to check out the event page.)
Whether you’re a car enthusiast or not — and whatever car you’re an enthusiastic about — you’ll enjoy seeing these amazing vehicles in beautiful Lake Lure, North Carolina. Lake Lure is a magical place, next door to Chimney Rock and Bat Cave, two other magical places. If you enjoy Gatlinburg or Cherokee then you will really enjoy Lake Lure.
Next Saturday your visit can help the Shriner’s Children’s Hospital help others. The Vintage Tin Street Road Association comes to the Rumbling Bald Resort with a car show that you will remember for a long time. For a preview of what will be there you need to click here to visit their home page. Just click on Member’s Rides and prepare to be amazed. Oh, and the car show is free to attend, although there is a fee if you want to have your ride in it.
This is a great chance to enjoy the mountains, the cars, and a short drive. Lake Lure is less than an hour away from Asheville and there are several great ways to get there. Here’s the roads to go and my observations of them.
- Highway 74 through Fairview, NC NOTE: The most direct route from Asheville, but with serious curves
- Highway 9 from Black Mountain, NC NOTE: Mountainous
- Highway 9 from Spartanburg & Columbus NOTE: Great country drive.
- Highway 64 from I-26 & Hendersonville NOTE: Great country drive through apple orchards
- Highway 74 from Rutherfordton NOTE: Some serious curves around the lake