By D. Lanier Shook June 13, 2013
What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever found in your food? What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever found in your hot dog? Well, the other day I found a surprise in my hot dog and it was awesome!
The other day I was on Main Street in Forest City around one p.m. when it dawned on me that I hadn’t had lunch yet and it was already very toasty. Fortunately I was right at The Fountain at Smith’s Drugs. Although I walked in looking for a cold iced tea the beef dog special looked more and more appealing. It may have been my best choice of the day.
Smith’s is a magical place you have to visit if you’re in Forest City. It has an awesome atmosphere, great selection of merchandise, and an incredible diner they call The Fountain. The Fountain is one of those great diners with red and chrome trimmed tables and a great menu.
At The Fountain “great menu” is not hyperbole. Buckle in your taste buds and hang on for a quick tour.
- Seven salads with nine different dressings.
- The grill has 21 different sandwiches — burgers, hot dogs, super burgers.
- They offer 13 regular sandwiches —-clubs, subs, burgers, and croissants.
- They have several blue plate specials that come with salad or slaw, fries, and a yeast roll.
- Their kid’s menu offers six choices.
- They have a menu with seven choices for the more health conscious among us.
- They offer 34 different wrap combinations.
- They have several breakfast plates that come with toast or biscuit, grits or gravy, or fries.
- For breakfast you can also choose from pancakes or french toast.
- They offer 3 breakfast sandwiches and 7 biscuits.
- They offer four breakfast omelets with 15 different combinations.
- There’s also a light breakfast plate.
- They have fourteen choices in dessert and ice cream.
That’s the quick version, if you want to see the menus and their hours click here to visit their website and check out the menu.
Okay, let’s get back to what I found in my hot dog. So I order the “beef dog” and an ice tea. What I got was shredded stew beef — kind of like a pot roast — on a hot dog bun. It was awesome and I plan to go back for more. If what I found in my hot dog sounds to you, just ask about the “beef dog” when you stop at The Fountain in Smith’s Drug on Main Street in Forest City.
Follow @WNCTravelIntel Tweet